Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 9: A community that respects those who serve

A couple weeks ago my daughter came home and announced she was entering a Veterans Day essay contest.  In just a couple minutes, she cranked this out:

Veterans are Heroes

Veterans are men or women that have served in the war. My grandpa was in the army when he served. When I look at his pictures he looks brave and heroic. I will never be as brave as a veteran. If you are a veteran you should be very, very proud of yourself. It’s been a long time since my grandpa was in the war but I don’t love him any less. He is the most heroic person I know. I love you a lot grandpa.

She didn't end up entering it in the contest.  She wrote something at school and used that instead.  It was good, but not as touching as her first draft.

Today her school hosted its third annual Veterans Day Assembly.  My dad has attended with me every year.  The essay winners read their submissions aloud.  There was a slide show with pictures of family and community members who have served.  There was singing.  There was a speaker.  But most importantly, the veterans were thanked, one-by-one.


My dad served in Vietnam.  You can read a bit more about his service here. When he came home, there was more hostility than gratitude.  It took him a long time to process those years and that part of his life.

I feel so blessed to live in a place that teaches our children patriotism and to respect those who sacrificed their lives for ours, no matter the combat theatre.  I am thankful to have married into a community that values our veterans.

A community that respects those who serve - One of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 21 other things I love about my life on the farm and 21 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day One: Grandma Millie
Day Two: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend



No comments:

Post a Comment