Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend

My farmer's fourth grade girlfriend rescued me.

Shortly after I married my farmer, I experienced the full force of his love of farming.  He really loves what he does and he spends a lot of time doing it.

During the week it wasn't a big deal.  I worked 45 minutes away and I liked my work, too.  I got home late and I brought work home.

Weekends were another story.  I was new to our small town and didn't know anyone our age.  I didn't think anyone under 40 lived here anyway (At 23, 40 seemed really old.  Not so much now.).  So rather than spend my weekends alone crying, I left.  I went to my hometown, 45 minutes away, and hung out with my family and friends there.  Most weekend nights my farmer would join me. We did not socialize locally. 

It worked until we had kids and I started working part-time, from home.  My world suddenly became very, very small.

And then I met her. 


Of course my farmer had known her all his life.  They were in love in the fourth grade.  And here I thought there weren't any young people in our town. 

We quickly became friends.  We were pregnant together.  Along with two other new friends, we started a weekly play group together.  Then feeling like our husbands needed a social life too, we started a monthly game night together.  My world slowly got a whole lot bigger thanks to our friendship.

Our game night crowd has grown from the original four couples to way more than that.  It just depends on the night and who's available.  We stopped playing games a long time ago.  What we do instead is sit around a table, a fire, a kitchen counter, or a basement bar and laugh.  It's cathartic.  I love when my farmer and my friend banter back and forth about their shared history.  What I love even more is that one day, our kids will do the same thing.  After all, if you ask them, they will tell you, "They were born together."





My farmer and my friend.  My daughter and her son.  They share a multi-generational history that only comes from growing up in a small town. 

His fourth grade girlfriend - One of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 22 other things I love about my life on the farm and 22 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day One: Grandma Millie
Day Two: My Clean Car
Day Three: He's helped me be more flexible
Day Four: Our little church
Day Five: His Servant Heart
Day 6: Farmer Humor
Day 7: The First Weekend in December - Friends, Food, & Farm Bureau




No comments:

Post a Comment