Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Day 19: He loves our NEW dog

My farmer prefers used dogs.  It's not an altruistic thing.  It's more an avoidance strategy.  He doesn't want to deal with the puppy stage.

Our first dog, Frank, was about nine months old when we found him at the shelter. He didn't chew on the house or dig, but he was a thief.  Sub-contractors helping with our house remodeling project quickly learned not to leave tools laying around.  He ate the cell phone of one of our dry wall laborers.  I felt pretty bad, but the guy was warned.


Frank started getting sick about eight months after we adopted him.  For the next few years he would get really sick, we'd give him a high dose of a steroid, then he would be better for a few months.


We lost him Thanksgiving weekend three years ago.  He passed at the vet clinic while I was at the chiropractor with the kids.  My son and I burst into tears.  My daughter, who was five at the time, shouted from the back seat, "When can we get another one?!"

The negotiations began and I won.  My farmer agreed that Santa could bring us a puppy.  My compromise was the name.  My farmer likes strong male names.  Meet Pete!



In three years, Pete has eaten our porch steps; eaten our air conditioner wires; eaten his dog house; eaten every type of critter that could venture into our yard; chased runners; chased bikers; spent unknown amounts of time at the neighbors; dug under my front porch; dug under my back porch, stolen little girls' flip flops, and hung himself over the kids' swing.


He's done all the pesky things that puppies do.  And my farmer loves him.


Who could resist that cute face?

He loves our NEW dog - One of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 11 other things I love about my life on the farm and 11 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day One: Grandma Millie
Day Two: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend
Day 12: He's a trend setter
Day 13: Our neighbor BFFs
Day 14: Gardens, farms, and golf courses, and knowing the difference
Day 15: Jam!
Day 16: Our multi-purpose shed
Day 17: He gives me permission to be a slacker
Day 18: He's all about function

No comments:

Post a Comment