Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 26: Finding common ground

I'm an introvert.  Really.

When I was a kid I was really shy.  In high school and college, once my self-confidence caught up, I learned to act like an extrovert.  It takes effort and I do a pretty good job, I think.  I can work a room.  I've gotten comfortable being in the spotlight.  I've discovered that it can be fun, but I also find it exhausting. 

In order to recharge, I need quiet alone time.  That may be one reason I love my 45 minute daily commute so much.  After being 'on' all day, I get some time by myself to think and reflect.  The older I get, the more I need this.

My farmer, on the other hand, he thrives in groups and he loves to talk, especially about farming.  It may be because he spends large parts of his days alone.  It's definitely because he loves what he does.  Regardless, we make a good team.

In 2011, I starting working with a business school in Spain.  My farmer tagged along on my initial site visit.  We spent the first day with my client contact doing some site seeing.  We drove about an hour to the Mediterranean Sea.



My farmer and my client talked the entire time - there and back.  He learned all about my client's family apricot farm, the Spanish economy, and the region's agriculture. 

I enjoyed listening.  I learned a lot about my client and it took the pressure off of me.

I was thankful that through his love of farming, people, and talking, he was able to find common ground with a new friend half way around the world.

Finding common ground- One  of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 4 other things I love about my life on the farm and 4 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day 1: Grandma Millie
Day 2: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend
Day 12: He's a trend setter
Day 13: Our neighbor BFFs
Day 14: Gardens, farms, and golf courses, and knowing the difference
Day 15: Jam!
Day 16: Our multi-purpose shed
Day 17: He gives me permission to be a slacker
Day 18: He's all about function
Day 19: He loves our NEW dog
Day 20: July and August
Day 21: He puts me in charge of fun
Day 22: He's industrious, even on holidays
Day 23: The art of strategic small talk
Day 24: Small town youth activities
Day 25: Creature comforts

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It is so true of farmers. There is always commonground to talk about.

    ReplyDelete