Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 25: Creature comforts

I grew up in the woods.  At least that's what I tell my farmer.

For the first 13 years of my childhood, we lived in the country on a lot adjacent to a wooded area.  On summer days and days off school my mom would kick my sister, brother, and me out of the house.  We spent most of that time exploring the wooded area, making tails, and building campsites.

On winter days, my mom would kick my dad out, too.  He would take us to hunt pheasant in that same wooded area.  I don't think he ever came home with one.

To ensure our survival skills, my parents also took us on two week back country camping trips each summer.  We gathered wood; cooked over a fire; bathed in Lake Michigan; fished with our grandfathers; and slept on the ground in tents.  We camped regardless of the weather.

I thought all this was normal.  I thought it was how most people grew up.  I was wrong.

The first time I suggested we go camping my farmer looked at me funny.  He replied, "I work outside, I don't want to spend my time off outside, too."  He went anyway.

During the first few years of our marriage, we went on a handful of camping trips with friends.  We have some hilarious stories from a Fourth of July trip to the local Yogi Bear campground.  If any of my fellow campers are reading this, I know they're smiling right now.

Small kids put an end to our camping for awhile.  When my youngest was four, I decided it was time to plan another trip.  My sister bought land in Michigan and was spending the entire summer camping with her family.  I thought it would be a great opportunity for my kids to spend time with their cousins doing the things I did as a kid.

My farmer put his foot down.

He agreed that I should take the kids; sleep in the tent; bathe in Lake Michigan; and cook over a fire.  He also suggested that after a few days ,we should rent a beach house.  Only then would he join us.

The kids had a blast camping with their cousins.  My air mattress was a great investment.  Not having access to indoor plumbing, showers, heaters at night, or air conditioning during the day was not as much fun as I remembered.

When it was time to move to the beach house, I was overjoyed.  I was ready for the creature comforts.  I was ready for a real bed and a shower.


My farmer was pretty content with his decision to skip the camping leg of the trip.

Creature comforts - One  of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 5 other things I love about my life on the farm and 5 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day 1: Grandma Millie
Day 2: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend
Day 12: He's a trend setter
Day 13: Our neighbor BFFs
Day 14: Gardens, farms, and golf courses, and knowing the difference
Day 15: Jam!
Day 16: Our multi-purpose shed
Day 17: He gives me permission to be a slacker
Day 18: He's all about function
Day 19: He loves our NEW dog
Day 20: July and August
Day 21: He puts me in charge of fun
Day 22: He's industrious, even on holidays
Day 23: The art of strategic small talk
Day 24: Small town youth activities

No comments:

Post a Comment