Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Day 23: The art of strategic small talk

I work at our local university.  My position has nothing to do with farming or agriculture.  Still, it seemed every day this past summer, someone asked me about our crops.

The drought was on every one's mind.

My understanding of farming is based more on science than tradition.  Since I didn't grow up on a farm, I didn't come into this life with preconceived notions of how things should operate based on how my dad did things.  Most of my foundational knowledge came from my undergraduate degree in agriculture education.  I was planning on being a high school agriculture teacher.  If only I had liked being around high schools kids...

The rest of my knowledge comes from asking my farmer a lot of questions.  Smart questions, dumb questions, and loads of 'why' questions that he patiently answers.

My background and his patience answering my questions has been great training for turning small talk into opportunities for agriculture advocacy.  Although the sizes may vary, we all have circles of influence.  It is my intention to be a source of farming information and a positive voice for agriculture within mine.  Small talk is just the beginning.

The art of strategic small talk - One  of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 7 other things I love about my life on the farm and 7 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day 1: Grandma Millie
Day 2: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend
Day 12: He's a trend setter
Day 13: Our neighbor BFFs
Day 14: Gardens, farms, and golf courses, and knowing the difference
Day 15: Jam!
Day 16: Our multi-purpose shed
Day 17: He gives me permission to be a slacker
Day 18: He's all about function
Day 19: He loves our NEW dog
Day 20: July and August
Day 21: He puts me in charge of fun
Day 22: He's industrious, even on holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment