Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 27: The FFA

Yesterday I wrote about being an introvert who learned how to be an extrovert.

I have the FFA to thank for those important lessons.



And for the two lifelong friends I got to enjoy a meal with last Friday (who will probably kill me for publishing this:).


And for my winding career path.

And for my farmer.


I got involved in FFA through my high school horticulture classes.  I learned how to and how not to be a leader.  I learned that I would not melt into the floor when I spoke in front of a group.  I learned how to identify different plants and trees, to show sheep at the fair, to judge the quality of eggs, to identify weed seeds, and to tie a bow.  I got to travel, a lot.  I learned lots of games to play with my fellow travelers, some of which I now play during road trips with my kids. 

The FFA exposed me to the diversity and opportunities the agriculture industry has to offer.  And even though I switched to higher education, I use the leadership, citizenship, teamwork, and speaking skills I learned through the FFA every day.

My senior year of high school I was elected Section 6 President.  In FFA world, this was a pretty big deal.  My first day on the job, I met my farmer.  He was the Section 2 President.  We quickly became friends.  There was just something about him.  I had to be near him.  After a year and a half I finally accepted it.  He was the one.

Our small town starts offering agriculture classes and FFA in middle school.  The ag teacher has been targeting my son with candy bars since kindergarten.  If that's what it takes to get him interested in one of the best youth organizations in the world, I'll take it.

The FFA - One  of the 30 reasons why I love being my farmer's wife.

Stay tuned for the 3 other things I love about my life on the farm and 3 more things that converted this Sycamore girl into a small town girl:).

And, check out my friend Holly's blog and the list of the other 30 day bloggers at 30 Days on a Prairie Farm.

Day 1: Grandma Millie
Day 2: My clean car
Day 6: Farmer humor
Day 7: The first weekend in December - friends, food, & Farm Bureau
Day 8: His fourth grade girlfriend
Day 12: He's a trend setter
Day 13: Our neighbor BFFs
Day 14: Gardens, farms, and golf courses, and knowing the difference
Day 15: Jam!
Day 16: Our multi-purpose shed
Day 17: He gives me permission to be a slacker
Day 18: He's all about function
Day 19: He loves our NEW dog
Day 20: July and August
Day 21: He puts me in charge of fun
Day 22: He's industrious, even on holidays
Day 23: The art of strategic small talk
Day 24: Small town youth activities
Day 25: Creature comforts
Day 26: Finding common ground

No comments:

Post a Comment