Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Who's making the decisions?

I've spent the weekend working on my final research paper for the semester. I've spent over ten hours reading about Critical Theory (describing what is and what ought to be), Critical Race Theory (Doing the above from perspective of someone of color) and higher education.


One question keeps going through my head. How many important decisions affecting my life have been made by rooms full of only white men?


I'm not a man hater. I don't even consider myself a feminist. However, I do believe that women have unique perspectives as do men of color, women of color, women of faith, men without faith, Midwestern women, east coast men, etc. We all bring something to the table.


My class this semester, however painful, has reinforced that concept.


I suppose I should end my moratorium on volunteer activities, stop complaining and figure out how to make my voice heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment