Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

My mind is no longer small!

About a year ago, I was told "Consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind." I was arguing the importance of consistency in whatever I was doing with this person.

If quoting Emerson was meant to make me feel small and stupid, this person achieved it.

Apparently, this quote is one I missed in my undergraduate and Master's degree coursework. My face immediately turned red. I was shut down and all I could think was, "This person just called me stupid!" Our conversation was over.

Well today, after completing one quarter of my doctoral coursework, I came across the quote in print! I can now consider myself a learned person.

If I ever make anyone feel like they are less for not knowing some obscure thing written by a dead white guy, or anything else for that matter, please kick me.

No comments:

Post a Comment