Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Thank You Mr. Brown Thumb!

When I started this blog, I was a bit cautious and very skeptical. Cautious of over sharing and hurting someone in the process. Skeptical if anyone would find it, read or heaven forbid, follow it.

As I started reading other blogs I started to learn tricks from other gardeners. Like paper tube seed collars for direct sowed seeds from Mr. Brown Thumb. You see, spacing has always been a challenge for me. I always seem to plant on a ridiculously windy day so I direct sow very thickly just to get it over with. Then I never go back and thin things out because in the process I always uproot half the row. This trick allowed me to lay out my planting board (thank you Martha Stewart, although my board doesn't have notches yet) with the tape measure and place the collars then plant the seeds. Now my lettuce and herbs won't compete with one another and I will know where to weed!

You can see two tiny lettuce plants starting to peek through! As soon as I figure out which is stronger, the other will be removed.

Since I have learned so much from the garden bloggers of cyber space, I have decided to loosen my restrictions on who I tell about this blog. Last week I gave my mom the address. Tonight, I will send it to my mother in law. That makes five people total! Progress is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment