Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Center of Attention

I spent the day pulling and digging out a weed. It was either Cowbane (highly poisonous) or Queen Anne's Lace (a beautiful, edible weed when placed where you want it). Whichever it is, I'm not sure how it got to my husband's grandmother's flower bed, but it quickly took root and took over. It literally drowned everything else out in the six weeks it's been growing. It's mission was to be the center of attention. The one thing in the flower bed that garnered all of the attention of passers by.

Ever been around a person like this? I seem to be surrounded by them lately.

Don't get me wrong, I love to be the center of attention. But I am also a middle child. I am used to having to share attention. I know that others enjoy it, too.

So today as I dug and dug and dug I thought about my options. I can go quietly, withdraw and be drown out. I can compete ferociously and leave a tangled mess. Or I can be gracious and graceful like the daffodils. I can find my niche and bloom in the quiet, in my own time when it is just right. Then take a back seat and let the others enjoy the limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment