Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Banished

Sometimes lines need to be drawn for protection. Currants and Gooseberries are banned from some states. Many people in other states don't plant them because they are carriers for a disease that affects White Pines. I planted both without knowing. My currents have since died but my Gooseberry is going strong.

I've been working with my seven year old son on thinking about the risk and rewards of his actions. I planted the Gooseberry bush so I could make Gooseberry jam and so my husband's grandmother could make pies. Is the reward of pies and jam worth the risk of killing the White Pine trees in my neighborhood?

What about people? Is the risk of exposing my kids to unacceptable, disrespectful behavior worth it? Is the risk of being ridiculed worth it? Is the risk of getting fantastically red in the face mad worth it? What's the upside of having that person in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment