Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

March Can Jam: Raspberry Garlic Jam

When I first discovered the ingredient of the month I didn't know what to think. Heck, I didn't even know what an allium was.

But once I found out, I was really excited. I've wanted to make garlic jelly for a long time. Since I don't grow it (I finally am this season!), I never had a reason to. Now I finally do! And, I found a recipe with wine. Oh how I love to add liquor to my jam!

The first step is roasting the garlic. This was super easy. Cut the head off, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, enclose in foil and roast!




The next step was making the juice for the jam. This was also super easy. Squeeze the garlic out of the skin and into a sauce pan. Add the wine, water, more vinegar and pepper. Bring to a boil and let steep. Then drain over cheese cloth.


While the garlic juice is draining, mash the raspberries and put three cups of the puree into your jam pot. My jam is not garlicky enough. Next time I'm only using two cup of raspberries.

Then measure two cups of the garlic juice. If you don't have two cups, add enough wine to get there. Next time I plan to make a double batch of the garlic juice and use three cups.
Combine the garlic juice, pectin and a bit of butter with the raspberries and bring to a boil. Add the sugar, return to a boil and boil for one minute.

Pour into jars and process. Voila! Isn't it gorgeous!



Recipe adapted from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving and the Ball pectin berry jam instructions.
3 medium heads of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
3 cups red raspberry puree
1 pouch pectin
7 cups sugar

Cut the tops off the garlic, place each in a separate square of aluminum foil. Top each head with one teaspoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast at 425 for 45 - 60 minutes or until soft and golden.

Squeeze the garlic out of the skin into a saucepan. Add the wine, water, balsamic vinegar and peppercorns. Bring to a boil for five minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes. Drain through dampened cheesecloth, undisturbed for a half hour. Measure two cups of the liquid. If there isn't two cups, add enough wine to make two cups.

Mash the raspberries with a potato masher. Measure three cups into a large stockpot. Add the garlic liquid, a teaspoon of butter to reduce foaming and the pectin. Bring to a rolling boil. Add the sugar. Bring to a rolling boil for one minute.

Remove from heat, put in jars and process for 10 minutes.














2 comments:

  1. The combination of garlic and raspberries sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! Two of my favorite ingredients! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete