Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

February Can Jam: Carrot Rhubarb Jam


I was a little skeptical when I read the February ingredient. I had no idea what to do with carrots.

I found a carrot jam recipe with brandy and almonds. I'm known for adding liquor to jam so I thought about it. That is until I cleaned our my freezer and found loads of diced rhubarb from the past two seasons and a recipe for carrot rhubarb jam.

It smelled really good cooking and they're very pretty but I'm not sure what to expect. The recipe didn't call for sugar, just one small cup of honey. It also didn't call for any lemon juice. Not wanting anyone to get sick, I added a couple tablespoons just in case. It was chunkier than any jam I've ever made, more like a chunky salsa consistency.
Carrot Rhubarb Jam
Adapted from www.ifood.tv

3 cups carrots, grated
6 cups rhubarb, diced
3 oranges, juice and grated rind
1 cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
Pour boiling water over rhubarb.Let stand for 10 minutes. Drain. This reduces objectionable oxalic acid. Mix all ingredients and let stand overnight. Next morning, bring to slow boil. Cook only until rhubarb is transparent and mixture thickened. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment